Rescue helicopter continues work through August

The TECT Rescue Helicopter continued to help patients throughout August. Supplied photo.

The TECT Rescue Helicopter has continued with its missions despite the recent Covid-19 Alert Level changes and lockdowns. 

The helicopter has impacted the lives of 26 patients over the month of August.

That includes 15 Inter-hospital transfers, six medical events, four rescues and one motor vehicle accident across locations such as Ōpotiki, Rotorua, Whakatāne and Te Kaha.

August began with a mission to Whakatāne for multiple patients who had sustained various injuries that required medical care. The onboard Intensive Care Paramedic attended to three patients, and they were transported to Whakatāne Hospital by road for further treatment. 

Later that evening, the onboard crew were dispatched to Te Kaha for a male patient suffering a serious medical condition. The patient was flown to Whakatāne Hospital for further treatment.

Friday, August 13 certainly proved unlucky for one female teenage patient who had sustained an injury in the Kauaeranga Valley, near the Pinnacles Hut in the Coromandel. 

The patient was transported to Thames Hospital for further treatment.

During the night, on Saturday, August 14, the TECT Rescue Helicopter crew utilised their equipped Night Vision Goggles to navigate a patient who was suffering a cardiac event from Tauranga Hospital. 

The patient was flown to Waikato Hospital, whilst under the medical care of the onboard Intensive Care Paramedic.

The TECT Rescue Helicopter crew returned to Te Kaha on the afternoon of Friday, August 20, for a patient in their forties who had sustained injuries following a quad bike accident. 

The patient had fallen down a steep bank and needed to be winched up to the top for treatment. The onboard crew flew the patient to Whakatāne Hospital for further treatment.

The TECT Rescue Helicopter attended an accident in the Pinnacles. Photo. Supplied.

On Sunday, August 22, the rescue crew assisted a patient in Rotorua who was suffering a cardiac event. The patient was transported to Waikato Hospital for further treatment.

Thursday, August 26, saw the TECT Rescue Helicopter being dispatched to Matakana Island for a young patient experiencing respiratory distress. The patient was flown to Tauranga Hospital for further treatment, with their mother alongside.

August wrapped up with a mission to Waikato, where a patient in their thirties suffering a serious medical event required urgent transportation from Tauranga Hospital. 

The patient was transported to Waikato Hospital for further treatment.

Missions like these would not be possible if it weren’t for the generous donations from the public. Keep the TECT Rescue Helicopter operational 24/7 by donating today at

Subscribe to our daily Newsletter


You may also like...


There are no comments on this article.

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to make a comment. Login Now