The Ministry of Health is reporting 7,068 new community cases of Covid-19, 398 hospitalisations and 18 deaths today. There are eight people in ICU with Covid-19.
There are 200 new community cases in Bay of Plenty and 120 in Lakes. There are 10 people Bay of Plenty hospitals and three in Lakes hospitals.
Today’s seven-day rolling average of community case numbers is 7,595 – last Saturday it was 7,512.
“Today we are sadly reporting the deaths of 18 people with Covid-19,” says a Ministry of Health spokesperson.
“The deaths being reported today include 10 people who have died over the past two days and eight people who has died since April 28.
These deaths take the total number of publicly reported deaths with Covid-19 to 958 and the seven-day rolling average of reported deaths is 15.
“Of the people whose deaths we are reporting today; two people were from Northland; four were from Auckland; three were from Waikato, one was was Lakes DHB, two were from MidCentral, two were from the Wellington region, one was form the West Coast, one was from Canterbury, one was from South Canterbury and one from Southern.”
One person was in their 40s, one in their 60s, five in their 70s; five in their 80s and six were aged over 90. Of these people, nine were women and nine were men.
“This is a very sad time for whānau and friends and our thoughts and condolences are with them at this time. Out of respect, we will be making no further comment.”
Vaccinations administered in New Zealand
- Vaccines administered to date: 4,026,960 first doses; 3,978,725 second doses; 32,092 third primary doses; 2,643,706 booster doses: 262,120 paediatric first doses and 120,122 paediatric second doses
- Vaccines administered yesterday: 26 first doses; 57 second doses; 39 third primary doses; 1,093 booster doses; 38 paediatric first doses and 272 paediatric second doses
- All Ethnicities (percentage of eligible people aged 12+): 4,055,385 first dose (96.3%); 4,006,497 second dose (95.2%), 2,638,002 boosted (70.8% of those eligible)
- Māori (percentage of eligible people aged 12+): 521,158 first dose (91.3%); 504,303 second dose (88.3%), 236,243 boosted (54% of those eligible)
- Pacific Peoples (percentage of eligible people aged 12+): 281,996 first dose (98.4%); 277,144 second dose (96.7%), 140,855 boosted (56.6% of those eligible)
- 5 to 11-year-olds all ethnicities: 259,193 first dose (54.4%); 117,235 second dose (24.6%)
- 5 to 11-year-olds - Māori: 40,874 first dose (35.4%); 13,458 second dose (11.6%)
- 5 to 11-year-olds - Pacific Peoples: 23,549 first dose (47.7%); 6,852 second dose (13.9%)
Note that the number for “People vaccinated” differs slightly from “Vaccines administered” as it includes those that have been vaccinated overseas.
Vaccination rates for all DHBs
- Northland DHB: first dose (90.1%); second dose (88%); boosted (67.3%)
- Auckland DHB: first dose (99.1%); second dose (98.2%); boosted (73%)
- Counties Manukau DHB: first dose (96.2%); second dose (95%); boosted (65.7%)
- Waitemata DHB: first dose (96.5%); second dose (95.6%); boosted (70.8%)
- Waikato DHB: first dose (95.1%); second dose (93.6%); boosted (66.2%)
- Bay of Plenty DHB: first dose (95.1%); second dose (93.4%); boosted (65.5%)
- Lakes DHB: first dose (93.1%); second dose (91.3%); boosted (65.8%)
- MidCentral DHB: first dose (96.4%); second dose (95.1%); boosted (71.8%)
- Tairāwhiti DHB: first dose (93%); second dose (90.8%); boosted (65.3%)
- Whanganui DHB: first dose (91.9%); second dose (90.4%); boosted (71%)
- Hawke’s Bay DHB: first dose (97.3%); second dose (95.7%); boosted (69.3%)
- Taranaki DHB: first dose (94.6%); second dose (93.3%); boosted (67.6%)
- Wairarapa DHB: first dose (96.4%); second dose (94.9%); boosted (72.6%)
- Capital & Coast DHB: first dose (98.4%); second dose (97.8%); boosted (79.2%)
- Hutt Valley DHB: first dose (96.6%); second dose (95.6%); boosted (74.5%)
- Nelson Marlborough DHB: first dose (96.4%); second dose (95.2%); boosted (73.1%)
- West Coast DHB: first dose (92.6%); second dose (91.2%); boosted (71.1%)
- Canterbury DHB: first dose (99.8%); second dose (98.9%); boosted (74.1%)
- South Canterbury DHB: first dose (94.7%); second dose (93.7%); boosted (74.1%)
- Southern DHB: first dose (98.5%); second dose (97.5%); boosted (72.9%)
Partially and second doses percentages are for those 12+. Boosted percentages are for 18+ who have become eligible 3 months after having their second dose or 16 and 17 year olds who have become eligible 6 months after having their second dose.
Cases in hospital: total number 398: Northland: 9; Waitemata: 48; Counties Manukau: 41; Auckland*: 100; Waikato: 39; Bay of Plenty: 10; Lakes: 3; Tairāwhiti: 0; Hawke’s Bay*: 11; Taranaki: 8; Whanganui: 1; MidCentral: 21; Wairarapa: 2; Hutt Valley: 9; Capital and Coast: 13; Nelson Marlborough: 6; Canterbury: 52; South Canterbury: 3; West Coast: 4; Southern: 18
- **Average age of current hospitalisations: 60
- Cases in ICU or HDU: 8
- Vaccination status of current hospitalisations (Northern Region only, excluding Emergency Departments): Unvaccinated or not eligible (28 cases / 12%); partially immunised <7 days from second dose or have only received one dose (6 cases / 3%); double vaccinated at least 7 days before being reported as a case (59 cases / 25%); Received booster at least 7 days before being reported as a case (139 cases / 59%); unknown (3 cases / 1%)
* Please note numbers for Auckland and Hawke’s Bay have not been provided today and are from the hospitalisation figures reported on 13 May.
** Please note the average age of current hospitalisations is for the Northern Region admissions only at this stage. This data is recorded and extracted from the same source as the vaccination status of patients in Northern Region hospitals.
- Seven day rolling average of community cases: 7,595
- Seven day rolling average (as at same day last week): 7,512
- Number of new community cases: 7,068
- Number of new community cases (PCR): 225
- Number of new community cases (RAT): 6,843
- Location of new community cases (PCR & RAT): Northland (202), Auckland (2,409), Waikato (507), Bay of Plenty (200), Lakes (120), Hawke’s Bay (219), MidCentral (237), Whanganui (55), Taranaki (198), Tairāwhiti (57), Wairarapa (75), Capital and Coast (459), Hutt Valley (228), Nelson Marlborough (209), Canterbury (1,096), South Canterbury (105), Southern (619), West Coast (69), Unknown (4)
- Number of new cases identified at the border: 62
- Number of active community cases (total): 53,151 (cases identified in the past 7 days and not yet classified as recovered)
- Confirmed cases (total): 1,033,756
Please note, the Ministry of Health’s daily reported cases may differ slightly from those reported at a DHB or local public health unit level. This is because of different reporting cut off times and the assignment of cases between regions, for example when a case is tested outside their usual region of residence. Total numbers will always be the formal daily case tally as reported to the WHO.
- Number of PCR tests total (last 24 hours): 3,722
- Number of Rapid Antigen Tests reported total (last 24 hours): 14,412
- PCR tests rolling average (last 7 days): : 3,546
- Number of Rapid Antigen Tests dispatched (last 7 days as of 13 May 2022): 1.7 million
Subscribe to our daily Newsletter