Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency advises multiple worksites are active on State Highway 30/Te Ngae Road, between Sala Street and Iles Road, in Rotorua next week.
This work is part of the Eastern Corridor Stage One project.
Delays are expected as a result of these works and may be significant at times – particularly at the Tarawera Road and Sala Street intersections, says a spokesperson for the roading agency.
"Waka Kotahi reminds motorists to plan for delays, allow extra time for their journeys and take extra care when travelling through work sites to ensure the safety of themselves, other road users and road workers.
"Where possible, we encourage motorists to avoid travelling during peak times. For SH30/Te Ngae Road this is approximately 7.30am-9.30am westbound, and 12pm-2pm and 3pm-4pm eastbound."
- State Highway 30, Sala Street – the new city-bound slip lane from Sala Street into Te Ngae Road is now open for use. The slip lane will be temporarily closed at times to allow minor completion works to take place. Traffic turning east from Sala Street continues to be down to one lane at the intersection.
Eastbound traffic on Te Ngae Road may be down to one lane during the day, between 9am-3pm, due to construction of the new shared path outside Puarenga Park.
The left-turn slip lane from Te Ngae Road into Sala Street is closed until early December. This closure continues to create moderate delays for westbound traffic during the morning peak, and we encourage motorists to allow extra time for travel.
Left turn access at the intersection is strictly restricted to light vehicles only during this time. Heavy vehicles are to use approved detour route via Te Ngae Road and Fenton Street.
- State Highway 30, Tarawera Roundabout – contractors will be surfacing the centre of the temporary roundabout this week. This work is scheduled for Tuesday and Wednesday, between 7am-5pm, and will not impact live traffic.
A 30km/h temporary speed limit at the roundabout remains in place at all times.
- State Highway 30, 216 Te Ngae Road – a shoulder closure will be in place near Hume Pine during the week, between 7am-5pm, as vehicle crossings are replaced.
- State Highway 30, Repco – a shoulder closure remains in place at all times outside Repco while road construction is undertaken.
- State Highway 30, Neil Hunt Park – a shoulder and footpath closure remain in place on SH30 outside Neil Hunt Park, Monday to Friday, between 7.30am and 5pm while retaining wall works and shared path construction are completed. This work is expected to be comple
- State Highway 30, Allen Mills to Iles Road – a footpath closure is in place on SH30, between Allen Mills Road and Iles Road, at all times. A road diversion is in place outside Toyota. Contractors are completing earthworks and kerb construction along this stretch of road.
A temporary speed limit of 30km/h will be in place at the above work sites while contractors are on site – excluding the shoulder closures outside Repco and Neil Hunt Park. Outside of work hours the road will operate as normal.
"Pedestrians and cyclists will be able to walk or cycle around all worksites. Where required, staff can assist pedestrians past the site safely.
"In the event of bad weather or other unforeseen circumstances, work may be postponed. Waka Kotahi thanks motorists for their patience."
Plan ahead for a safe, enjoyable journey this summer. Keep up to date with:
- Traffic updates: journeys.nzta.govt.nz/traffic
• Facebook: facebook.com/NZTAWaikatoBoP
• Twitter: twitter.com/WakaKotahiWaiBP
• Journey planner: journeys.nzta.govt.nz
Phone: 0800 4 HIGHWAYS (0800 44 44 49)
Subscribe to our daily Newsletter